We want to learn about as many youth peacemakers as we can.
To do that, we’ve created two ways to hear these stories. As a young person, you can apply for the Prize directly using the online Application. You should know that we encourage video applications! As an adult or peer, you can also nominate someone using the Nomination Form. One thing to keep in mind…and this is important: youth nominated by someone else, must still fill out an application in order to be considered for the Prize. They will receive one automatically once they are nominated.
The application is simple. It asks applicants for some background information and what they’ve done to be peacemakers. The application deadline is April 12, 2013. Update: At this time, the application deadline for the 2013 Peace First Prize has passed.
After Peace First reviews the applications, we will invite select applicants to complete a more thorough semi-finalist application. Peace First staff will review these applications to confirm semi-finalists. From our confirmed semi-finalists, Peace First will deeply review semi-finalist applications and collect additional information from candidates in order to select a group of finalists.
Next, a distinguished group of youth development and education leaders from our will propose a slate of winners. Then our , comprised of highly respected civic, business, and community leaders, will interview these proposed winners to ensure that a group of strong, compelling young people have been selected for this honor. will confirm the Winners and we’ll announce them publicly in October 2013.
A closer look at the selection process
The selection process for The Peace First Prize is intended to create a transparent and equitable way to review all applications. All individuals reviewing applications are required to disclose any conflicts of interest and recuse themselves as necessary.
- Young people can apply for the Prize or be nominated by someone else (an adult or a peer). Regardless, each young person MUST fill out an application.
- Nominations and applications are accepted through April 12, 2013. All young people who are nominated by the deadline will be notified and will be given at least a week after notification to complete the application
- Peace First staff will review all applications. Each application will be read by at least two different reviewers.
- After all applications are reviewed, semi-finalists will be selected. They will be invited to submit Semi-finalist applications, which contain more detailed questions about their peacemaking work.
- To confirm semi-finalists, semi-finalist applications will be reviewed and scored by three trained reviewers (working separately) using a rubric that aligns with our selection criteria.
- Peace First staff will conduct individual phone interviews on candidates up for finalist consideration.
- Peace First staff will select finalists.
- Peace First’s Prize Screening Committee will review and rate the finalists and propose a slate of winners (and alternates) to Peace First.
- Proposed winners will be approved by Peace First staff. Each proposed winner will then be interviewed by Peace First’s Fellowship Interview Committee. This committee will affirm the winners to the Peace First Board of Directors.
- Peace First’s Board of Directors will approve the final winners.
- Winners will be announced in October 2013.