Now hiring: Director of Development
Peace First is a global NGO igniting and supporting a youth-led movement of global innovators tackling everything from racial justice to climate change. We are looking for an innovative fundraiser who will help us successfully raise $10 million over three years in support of Peace First’s youth activation work around the world.
As the senior fundraiser on the team, the ideal candidate must be excited and ready to fundraise in partnership with young people and manage the full vertical of activities – from strategy to relationship-building to day-to-day implementation. Our coCEOs are based in Washington DC and Bogotá, with a global team scattered around the globe, and we are open to strong candidates anywhere.
ABOUT PEACE FIRST
Peace First was founded on a simple idea: if we are going to solve the world’s greatest injustices, we must support this generation of young people with the skills and commitments to solve problems by connecting across lines of difference with compassion, standing up for ideals and others with courage, and creating collaborative change. This is what we call peacemaking.
Currently, there are 1.6 billion young people around the world, ages 16-30. They care deeply about what’s going on, they have boundless ideas on how to solve injustices and are ready to act yet seldom are they asked by adults what they think or, better yet, supported in bringing their ideas to life. Few have access to tools, mentors, and resources to turn their insights into reality. This is the divide we bridge.
Peace First provides a blended digital design platform where young people can imagine and create powerful innovations to solve real problems in the world. In addition to digital design tools, we provide mentors, connections with young people from over 130 countries, and small start-up grants that start at $250 and scale up to $25,000 as youth scale their work. All of this takes place on the Peace First platform — the world’s largest marketplace for youth-led social change initiatives. In order for us to achieve our long-term goal of supporting a movement of 2.5 million engaged, compassionate, and creative youth, Peace First is launching a $10 million Global Youth Investment Fund to provide the financial spark to support efforts for social change. It will be the single largest investment in youth social action...ever.
A key element of our strategic plan is to build out our team of talented professionals. We actively recruit, retain, and develop a multicultural and dynamic workforce that effectively and efficiently meets the wide spectrum of young people's needs across the globe. We believe that an inclusive and open environment fosters creativity, contributes to the quality of our work, and provides growth opportunities for all employees. To that end, we are seeking individuals who are excited about fostering this inclusive culture and working in an entrepreneurial environment where there is an immediate opportunity to have a tangible impact on organizational direction and achievement.
In partnership with the CEO, the Director of Development is responsible for successfully raising $10 million over three years in support of Peace First’s youth activation work around the world. Although this is a role for a generalist development professional – someone who is experienced in both individual and institutional giving – the work for the next 12-to-18 months will be focused on individual giving strategies in support of the Youth Investment Fund. Specifically, the Director of Development will lead the cultivation and stewardship strategies and operations for an existing portfolio of 150 high-net-worth individuals with the capacity to give five-, six-, and seven-figure gifts. This existing portfolio is primarily representative of the Boston, New York City and San Francisco metropolitan area markets. The Director of Development will lead the cultivation strategy to expand that portfolio, including identifying additional markets in the U.S. and abroad both for individual and institutional donors. As part of this raise we are exploring geography- or issue-based individual and institutional giving strategies at a global level (outside of the US).
This Director of Development will report to the CEO. They will supervise a Development Officer who handles fundraising operations. This is a role for someone excited to build upon Peace First’s record of innovation and long-standing relationships with donors and to help create something new in the world. The successful candidate has an entrepreneurial spirit, is excited about working in a small-shop setting, is passionate about investing in young people as agents of change today and wants to help grow a movement of these young leaders.
- Lead all fundraising strategy and activities for Peace First in partnership with co-CEOs, Board, and other team members
- Successfully build and maintain relationships with a diverse portfolio of major individual donors and family foundations, as well as potential institutional donors
- Tell powerful stories of impact and opportunity through a variety of media (written collateral, presentations, video, etc.)
- Create and lead donor cultivation and stewardship program
- Hold regular donor circle meetings to review status and impact and to invite learning and connection
- Lead and supervise the development operations team
- Work with other organizational leaders to develop and implement organization-wide strategies and operations
- Ensure the organization’s communications and website address fundraising priorities
- Partner with the finance team to ensure accurate accounting and recognition of revenue
Key Skills and Experience
We understand that there are many paths to developing skills and acquiring experience and therefore welcome candidates from diverse and nontraditional backgrounds for this role who have demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to carry out the major duties outlined in this job description. However, candidates should have a strong track record in fundraising, comfort in start-up environments, and a passion for partnering with young people.
Additionally, we are looking for candidates who have:
- 7+ years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization
- Demonstrated success in creating and managing relationships with multiple donor sources, especially with major gifts, having personally closed at least six-figure asks with individual donors and deepened donor relationships over time
- Experience with Salesforce that demonstrates ability to leverage it for advancing development strategies and operations
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral with the ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Can positively impact both strategic and tactical initiatives
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also as a team player.
- Ability to develop and implement annual strategic fundraising plan
- Strong organizational and time management skills with strong attention to detail
- The ability to work independently and as a cross-functional team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
- Possessing a mindset of no task too large nor too small
- Ability to be an effective spokesperson who can mobilize and inspire others to action
- Excels at making data driven decisions
All members of our team, regardless of role, should have these qualities and experience:
- Commitment to contributing to an overall organizational culture that is inquisitive, youth centered, caring, and fun
- Can lead within a start-up/entrepreneurial environment where priorities can quickly and necessarily change
- Belief in and leading with Peace First’s core values of courage, compassion, and collaboration
- Commitment to supporting young people as they change the world for the better through peacemaking
- Capacity to integrate into all functional areas while autonomously leading one’s work
- Proficiency in Google Drive, Docs, Sheets Gmail, etc.; Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Written and spoken fluency in English, including fluency in colloquial United States English. Candidates must be able to verify that they are authorized to accept employment in the United States.
- Must be able to travel within the United States 25-50% of the time and periodically travel outside the U.S. for donor cultivation and stewardship.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position. Salary range is $70,000-$95,000. Peace First also offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits package, including unlimited paid time off, retirement matching, and remote work options from anywhere around the world
Start Date / Location
Immediately / Location is flexible but must be available during the majority of East Coast US working hours.
To be considered for this position, please send a resume and cover letter documenting your strong fit with the job requirements to email@example.com. Attach files PDF documents and include “Development Director” in the subject line of your email.
Peace First is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religious creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, military service, age, ancestry, or disability. For more information, please go to www.peacefirst.org.