Un proyecto de construcción de paz de Isha R.
¿Cuál es la injusticia que estamos intentando resolver?
Less than 20% of jobs in technology are held by women and even less are held by technologists from historically underrepresented backgrounds. This issue is becoming increasingly crucial to address as the lack of diversity in technology can have severe repercussions on the future of technology. Whether it is bias in AI, or technology made for the female demographic that fails to meet their needs, acknowledging and taking action to increase female and minority representation is vital. The low representation of women and people from historically underrepresented backgrounds in computer science is rooted in the belief that computer science is for males only. This misconception begins at an early age, when potential computer scientists are in elementary or middle school. It is at this age when students learn about different career paths and leaders in the industry. If women and minority leaders in tech are kept out of the picture, girls and students from these backgrounds will not even consider pursuing computer science because they cannot envision themselves in the field. There are incredible women and minority leaders in computer science, we simply need to recognize and celebrate them as a community.
Nuestra Idea Compasiva
Para resolver la injusticia de lack of representation of women and other minorities in technology
Abordaremos the misconception that they do not belong in the field
A través de increasing computer science education among middle school girls and minorities in computer science.
- We will empower 50 students from historically underrepresented backgrounds in technology by providing a welcoming environment in the form of a summer camp where they not only learn computer science fundamentals, but collaborate with others to develop real solutions to problems they face in their communities.
Aumentaremos mi / nuestra compasión por medio de...
I will increase my compassion by not being close-minded about who I accept and offer this opportunity to any individual who comes from a historically underprivileged background or underrepresented background in technology.
¿Cómo mostrarás coraje (valentía)?
I will show courage by sticking with a student and helping through questions they have, no matter how difficult the concept they are learning is.
¿Cómo colaborarán con otros/as?
I will collaborate with other high school students to lead and instruct the camp, and hopefully reach out to other organizations working to increase access to computer science education such as TransHack.
¿Cómo sabrás que te estás moviendo en la dirección correcta? (¿Cuáles son las formas específicas en que puedes medir tu impacto?)
I will know I am moving in the right direction if I see that students are excited to come a learn each day. I will know this if they are actively working on the projects with their group to develop solutions to problems they face as well as informally survey the clase to speed up or slow down on certain concepts. I will also measure it by seeing how active they are whether it is asking questions or collaborating with one another.
- Reach out to schools and community programs for participants.
- Reach out to companies for guest speakers and finalize the list.
- Finalize list of participants. Give any necessary waivers to parents.
- Meet with instructors for a training to ensure everyone is on the same page.
- Purchase any snacks or other materials for the camp.
- Welcome students to the camp.
- Closing remarks/ending celebratory showcase for the campers, family, and friends.
- Send a survey out to collect student and parent feedback about the process and provide resources they can use to continue their journey.