Ending child marriages in Mazvihwa community
A Peacemaking Project by Pauline Nicola M.
What is the injustice we are solving?
An increase in child marriages in my community ( Mazvihwa rural community, Zvishavane
Our Compassionate Solution:
To solve this injustice of Child marriages
we will address Religious norms and cultural beliefs of patriarchy embedded in societies
by 1. Carrying out sensitization meetings for the whole community and discuss the negative impacts of child marriages and how they are affecting our communities at large.The meeting will involve different stakeholders such as the Police( Victim Friendly Unit),Local like minded NGOs officials,girls,parents and church leaders. 2. Formation of girls clubs and local schools and train them about the effects of child marriages and in the event that they are forced off to marriages by their parents what channels should they take for their matter to be heard.Teachers will be involved in the clubs as mentors.
Our Project Plan:
- To senzitize Mazvihwa community about the effects of child marriages through community meetings so as to raise awareness
- To create safe space for girls to discuss issues affecting them by establishing all girls health clubs in the 4 local schools in our communities targeting about 200 girls
We will increase my / our compassion by...
By establishing why people marry under aged girls and why parents marry of young girls .Also to understand why my community accept this bad behavior
How will you show courage?
By sacrificing my time to ensure the success of the project and with the help of Peace first team in both technical and financial support the project should produce the intended results.
How will you collaborate with others?
Community leadership-as the custodians of the community they will play a role in mobilisation of the campaign against child marriages and at the same time taking a leading role in denouncing such practices. Teachers- will help in the formation of the all girls clubs in schools and to be part of the clubs activities Police- will help in the interpretation of the law to the community pertaining issues of child marriages. Like minded organizations also will give input in community meetings so that we speak with one voice as we fight to end child marriages.
How will you know you are moving in the right direction? (What are specific ways you can measure your impact?)
The use of community score cards will enable us to assess the impact of our intervention. We will also make use of participants list and record how many people are attending. Success stories of our intervention will also be recorded as part of measuring the impact of the project
- 1.Meeting with all collaborating organization and appraise them on the project and allocate roles and responsibilities.
- Meeting with community leadership on the project and seek their support in implementing the project
- Community meetings with the support of colloborating organizations
- Formation of all girls clubs in schools and activities organized
- Monitoring and Evaluation of the project
- Report writing and submission