Healthy Waste Worker for Healthier Community
A Peacemaking Project by Govinda R.
What is the injustice we are solving?
An injustice that I want to change in my community is the knowledge and awareness level among informal waste worker about personal protective equipment, hygiene maintenance, and sanitation. In spite of working an agent of waste management, there is no attention and programs designed to them for their health promotion and disease prevention.
Our Compassionate Solution:
To solve this injustice of lack of awareness on sanitation and good hygiene literacy among informal waste works of Kathmandu valley
we will address The ignorance of health institutions and government of Nepal who lag behind in addressing the poor health, hygiene and sanitary condition of informal waste workers.
by Raising awareness among the informal waste workers in their own community about the importance of sanitation and hygiene to them
Our Project Plan:
- Increase the level of knowledge and awareness about sanitation and good hygiene among 20 informal waste workers of Kathmandu Valley by organizing a good hygiene literacy program by the end of January 2020.
We will increase my / our compassion by...
1. We will increase compassion by actively listening to the points of the view of the informal waste workers and their experiences in the work. 2. By appreciating their work for their contribution to the community as well as motivate them for the continuation of the work.
How will you show courage?
We will show our courage by reaching out to the community of informal waste workers and implementing the peace first project with their involvement to aware of different aspects of good hygiene and sanitation. We will also show our compassion by speaking in favor of peace and hope and the good life of the people especially for the informal waste workers who have become voiceless.
How will you collaborate with others?
We will collaborate with PHASE Nepal and waste workers through discussion and meetings sharing about the changes the project could impact in the health and lifestyle of the waste workers.
How will you know you are moving in the right direction? (What are specific ways you can measure your impact?)
We will know that we are moving in the right direction when the waste workers follow the sanitation and good hygiene measures in their workplace and in the community and this can be known through monitoring and evaluation after the project. Similarly, we can also know it through the active involvement of the participants and two-way communication between us and waste workers throughout the awareness program.
- Collaboration with the Non-government organization (PHASE NEPAL) to reach out and plan for the project
- Informing the waste workers about the project in the specified date and time in their community
- Creating different materials and posters for the awareness program
- Implementation of the project with the involvement of informal waste workers
- Creation of the manual