Mental Health Awareness
A Peacemaking Project by Karen A.
What is the injustice we are solving?
Our project will help eradicate false and harmful beliefs/accusations about mental illness in the adolescent community of the city of Holland by educating and informing the community about: what mental illness is and isn't, and how to better understand those who struggle with mental illness.
Our Compassionate Solution:
To solve this injustice of mental illness stigma
we will address lack of information and understanding
by creating a mental health workshop for adolescents
Our Project Plan:
- Inform the adolescent community about what mental health and mental illness are
- Inform the adolescent community about how to better understand those who struggle with mental illness
- Give strategies to help care for the adolescents with mental illnesses
We will increase my / our compassion by...
Making others understand the feelings and thoughts that are going on in the people with mental illness heads and discovering the best way of helping those people
How will you show courage?
We will show courage by facing a group of peers who may be oppositional in beliefs about mental health and use public speaking skills.
How will you collaborate with others?
We will collaborate with people by doing workshops and scenarios to find how others can help
How will you know you are moving in the right direction? (What are specific ways you can measure your impact?)
By giving a questionnaire/survey to give to others to fill out to know feedback
- Develop business cards with notes on how to interact/help people dealing with a mental disorder to pass out at end of presentation
- Develop presentation with demos/walk-throughs/scenarios
- Research places and decide on location(s) to hold workshop
- Schedule the times for the workshop at schools and local places