A Peacemaking Project by Alexandra F.
What is the injustice we are solving?
An injustice I would like to change in my community is the excessive use of plastic in grocery stores (and other small businesses).
Our Compassionate Solution:
To solve this injustice of excessive use of plastic in grocery stores
we will address the convenience of plastic and the customary use of plastic bags and packaging
by suggesting the use of paper bags, and eventually the evolution of grocery stores into becoming eco-friendly
Our Project Plan:
- embrace an eco-friendly lifestyle within Key Biscayne grocery stores, and later other stores.
- put Key Biscayne on the map as an island of environmental conscience and eco-friendly sustainability.
We will increase my / our compassion by...
We will increase our compassion by showing our devotion to the environment’s current situation regarding climate change and ocean pollution, by attempting to make our community of Key Biscayne environmentally conscious and eco-friendly.
How will you show courage?
I will show courage by facing large grocery store chains, such as CVS, in Key Biscayne and propose solutions and ways for them to become more eco-friendly, possibly completely banning plastic bags.
How will you collaborate with others?
I will collaborate with others by going to speak to managers with a few other students, and carrying out the duties of the plan with them.
How will you know you are moving in the right direction? (What are specific ways you can measure your impact?)
I can measure my impact by seeing if the grocery stores stop using plastic bags, or substantially decrease their use.
- brainstorm and research incentivized solutions for the excessive plastic use problem in Key Biscayne that is accessible and possible for grocery stores to carry out
- speak to managers and begin to form a group agreeing on the common goal of helping the environment and becoming more environmentally conscious in Key Biscayne
- brainstorm and research alternatives to plastic, and how to cost-effectively bring them to the attention of grocery stores