Student Voice for DSST
A Peacemaking Project by Aminab K.
What is the injustice we are solving?
I want to change the racial inequity at DSST Stapleton High School.
Our Compassionate Solution:
To solve this injustice of Social and racial inequity in my school
we will address lack of student voice for minorities
by creating and funding a student body of minorities to propose new policies for training of teachers to learn how to educate and help students be inclusive of others and create a strong sense of inclusivity and community.
Our Project Plan:
- To create a diverse student body for social justice and equity in my school
- To provide an alliance where people can feel accepted for their differences
- To award those in the school for outstanding achievement who are under appreciated
- To show school staff and students that color or social class doesn't determine whether or not your are able to succeed
We will increase my / our compassion by...
Having weekly student meetings and group discussions about policies and issues among the school and how we can solve them.
How will you show courage?
I will provide a morning meeting to the school about my proposal for a new group and send an email to the whole school if they would be willing to join the group.
How will you collaborate with others?
Invite others I’ve worked with in the past to help provide structure and leadership for the group.
How will you know you are moving in the right direction? (What are specific ways you can measure your impact?)
I will know I am moving in the right direction if we have a large turnout for the group and more whole-school discussions about equity and how those can help out.
- -First get a group of students willing to lead the group
- -Plan a morning meeting for the whole school why this issue is important and why people should support
- -Send a whole-School email asking whether or not people want to support
- -Tally up all the people willing to join the group
- -Have a selection of those willing to join the group to see who is fully committed
- -Create a schedule for the school equity group for when meetings will occur
- -Have discussions about the issues at school hopefully change the school culture and equity issue