Student Voice for DSST
A Peacemaking Project by Aminab K.
What is the injustice we are solving?
I want to change the racial inequity at DSST Stapleton High School.
Our Compassionate Solution:
To solve this injustice of Social and racial inequity in my school
we will address lack of student voice for minorities
by creating and funding a student body of minorities to propose new policies for training of teachers to learn how to educate and help students be inclusive of others and create a strong sense of inclusivity and community.
Our Project Plan:
- To create a diverse student body for social justice and equity in my school
- To provide an alliance where people can feel accepted for their differences
- To award those in the school for outstanding achievement who are under appreciated
- To show school staff and students that color or social class doesn't determine whether or not your are able to succeed
We will increase my / our compassion by...
Having weekly student meetings and group discussions about policies and issues among the school and how we can solve them.
How will you show courage?
I will provide a morning meeting to the school about my proposal for a new group and send an email to the whole school if they would be willing to join the group.
How will you collaborate with others?
Invite others I’ve worked with in the past to help provide structure and leadership for the group.
How will you know you are moving in the right direction? (What are specific ways you can measure your impact?)
I will know I am moving in the right direction if we have a large turnout for the group and more whole-school discussions about equity and how those can help out.
- -First get a group of students willing to lead the group
- -Plan a morning meeting for the whole school why this issue is important and why people should support
- -Send a whole-School email asking whether or not people want to support
- -Tally up all the people willing to join the group
- -Have a selection of those willing to join the group to see who is fully committed
- -Create a schedule for the school equity group for when meetings will occur
- -Have discussions about the issues at school hopefully change the school culture and equity issue
1 March 2019 17:52
Thanks for joining the CEI Youth Activation Challenge! We're so excited that you're joining a movement of young people from across Colorado who are working to solve injustices in their schools. We look forward to supporting the plan you came up with at the Peace First Lab as you work with others to make a lasting difference. This is an opportunity for young people to 'create without boundaries’!
Thanks so much for starting a project on institutional racism at your school. You're right that this is a major problem, and I'm so glad you are taking action!
As you’re working through the questions in the Understand phase of your project, please don’t hesitate to ask any questions that come up! You can check out the Peacemaking Tools for a full set of resources: https://www.peacefirst.org/peacemaking-tools I also suggest you check out the Colorado Education Initiative tools https://www.coloradoedinitiative.org/tools-resources-new/
If you submitted your Compassionate Insight, perfect! The Compassionate Insight is one of the most important steps in the peacemaking journey. We will be reviewing it in 2-3 business days.
I hope that these resources are useful! This work is so important--Thank you for what you're doing! Let me know if you have any questions or need support in thinking about your next steps. :) I'm excited to support you however possible, and to watch this project grow!
2 March 2019 17:32