Chi-Town GVP Summit
A Peacemaking Project by Nathan S.
What is the injustice we are solving?
The fact that there is so much gun violence and it hasn't been properly addressed and youth in America are feeling effects of it not being properly addressed on a regular basis.
Our Compassionate Solution:
To solve this injustice of Gun Violence
we will address Militizaration of Police, military-style weapons being available to the general public, lack of UBC's, people of color being targeted more often by police than there white counterparts, the insane amount of power that groups like the National Rifle Association have over politicians & finally lack of resources for law enforcement to disarm people who may be a danger to themselves or the general public
by providing the necessary resources, materials & support to youth activists who are tackling the issue of gun violence along with holding a summit where two youth activists from each state come and everyone is able to collaborate on the issue of gun violence and have a Q/A session with people with a background in gun violence prevention along with youth activists tackling this issue.
Our Project Plan:
- -Conducting Independent research on Gun Violence, Gun Violence Prevention & the gun lobby
- - Support lesser-known activists working on the issue of gun violence prevention through providing support, materials, feedback & assistance in planning larger scale projects
- - Hold a yearly summit with two youth activists from each state and one chaperone on gun violence prevention with Q/A Session, Workshops, Time to collaborate on ideas to help end the gun violence epidemic & time to talk about what individual groups/activists are doing to help end the gun violence epidemic in their individual states
We will increase my / our compassion by...
We will increase our compassion by reaching out to those who aren't often included in movements such as this, those disproportionately affected by gun violence & those who are part of minorities.
How will you show courage?
We will show courage through tackling issues that often are hard to talk about and can be sensitive and will include those who are regularly affected by gun violence & may not always be included in conversations on gun violence and gun violence prevention. Finally, we will make a conscious effort to reach out to POC & communities of minorities.
How will you collaborate with others?
We will collaborate with others in multiple different ways. Those ways include working with different small organizations working on the issues of gun violence and the gun lobby. We'll also collaborate with larger organizations who are interested in supporting our work. We also will make sure to include minorities and people of color in our leadership and organizational structure.
How will you know you are moving in the right direction? (What are specific ways you can measure your impact?)
We will know that we are moving in the right direction because we will have a form that we request the organizations and activists we work with to fill out that will ask about how we supported them, what type progress they've made, how we can support them more. We'll also talk with stakeholders about how they think we can do better and if they think what we've done has made a difference.
- 1. Reach out to organizations working on the issue of gun violence, gun violence prevention & gun lobby.
- 2. Make a budget for the inaugural 2020 Chi-Town GVP Summit/Get quotes/estimates for different things needed for the summit (Travel Costs, Space, Food, Sleeping Arrangements, etc.)
- 3. Find funding sources for the summit & organization overall
- 4. Start research on gun violence, gun violence prevention & gun lobby
- 5. Find People to attend the summit along with the chaperones for the people.