South Texas Ideas
A Peacemaking Project by Abigail P.
What is the injustice we are solving?
I want to empower young adults to embrace the unique culture, community, and identity only found along the Mexican-American border in South Texas.
Our Compassionate Solution:
To solve this injustice of lack of border pride
we will address how to be a changemaker and leadership skills
by creating a leadership summit for young adults in the South Texas region
Our Project Plan:
- - Receive 50 passionate young adults in our local festival on April 27th, 2019
- - Create an alumni team aware of the skills needed to become effective and efficient leaders in today's society.
- - Survey young non-profit members and understand what they feel and approach the term of a leader as
- - Plan out the schedule of the conference and what exact activities and budgetary aspects need to be taken care of
- - Focus on a truly reflective and cheerful environment throughout summit/conference to allow young adults to understand the professional and important situation.
- - Create a surge of confidence and pride in the conference participants as they learn more about themselves and the world around them
We will increase my / our compassion by...
honing on effective leadership skills and aspects that many young adults have not practiced in order to create change. We will teach our participants about the origin of our border and how the stigma began in the first place.
How will you show courage?
Choosing to change the mindset that people hold upon my home of the border is an extreme feat that will require a lot of hard work and determination. Many adults believe teenagers like myself should have no say in important issues like immigration because we are young. However, the reality is that age has no relevance, it is the experience and passion that is necessary to defeat the odds and truly make a change in one's community.
How will you collaborate with others?
The conference will be headed by my sister, a school counselor, and an alumni group of 5 people. These people will be the conference team that will ensure the flow of the agenda and plan to empower the next generation of leaders.
How will you know you are moving in the right direction? (What are specific ways you can measure your impact?)
A series of surveys and casual interviews/conversations will be done before, during, and after the process to see how exactly the conference is effecting participants and if we are making a difference in the mindset young adults perceive. This feedback will help us adjust certain parts and improve our future efforts.
- Advertise conference
- Plan out agenda of the event
- Choose participants
- Buy items and things necessary to make event successful
- Interview the participants before the conference and throughout the week
- Carry out activities and lessons focused on young adult skill-building and collaboration
- Gather thoughts and feedback on what we need to grow on and what we did great at
- Measure later on in the future how young adults were affected by summit